The holidays are a happy time with friends and family with plenty of time to relax and eat. Keep your home safe over this special time with these helpful tips:
- Turn off decorative lights when you leave the house or going to bed to avoid overheating.
- Inspect old holiday light strings before re-hanging them up and discard any frayed cords, or loose connections.
- Consider purchasing a fresh cut tree as these are the most resistant to ignition.
- Test smoke alarms to ensure they work especially near sleeping areas. With all the cooking and commotion, you want to keep all rooms are safe.
- Ensure that decorations such as lights, extension cords, spotlights etc, comply with accredited certification organization. Cheap decorations can be less safe and cause fires.
- Keep decorations away from candles and fireplaces.
Enjoy the holidays while keeping your family and friends safe!